Followers

Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Yellow Flower board


 Hello everyone

I enjoyed creating this piece for a friends birthday, I really hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it. The base for this was an artists canvas board that measured 8" by 8" inches, that I primed with gesso.


I started by rubbing a light blue and light purple Gelato over the board. I then took a brush and adding a fair amount of water started to move and blend the colours together.


After drying the board with a heat tool, I placed a Donna Downey stencil over the top. I wiped over the top of the stencil with a wet wipe removing some of the Gelatos. When doing this technique the wet wipe always looks great and once dried will make lovely die cut flowers. I then ran a darker purple Gelato around the edge of the board and blended it in  with my finger.


I then took some gesso and a small round paint brush and painted in the shapes for my flower, including the stem. I like to apply the Gesso fairly thickly in places as I enjoy seeing the brush marks. I also place a stencil with small circles on it, in the three other corners and applied gesso through the circles with my finger.


I then started to build up layers of colour on my flower. I used the same paintbrush to do this, mixing different yellow Gelatos with gesso.


Once all those layers had dried I added some more colour, A pale yellow Gelato to the centre of the flower and a brown to the edges. I did not mix the Gelato with gesso this time instead I picked up the colour with a damp brush straight from the stick. I finished off the flower by adding defination to the petals with a yellow Pitt pen.


 The board was finished off by added some colour to the circles with a blue Gelato.


Thank you for reading
Gemma

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun, I will defiantly be doing more.

      Delete
  2. Love that your flower is so full and luscious that it is pulling the stem sideways. Great textures. Lovely! j.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog.
Please leave a comment, letting me know what you think.

Gemma